Position Title: Manufacturing Engineer
Reports To: Engineering and Quality Assurance Manager
Date: January 7, 2020
Responsible for providing necessary information to the sales department for quoting purposes, program management support for all new and existing launches and technical support for all processes both new and existing.
Essential duties and responsibilities are as follows, other duties may be assigned.
- Participate as part of the CFT and with other plant disciplines to provide the manufacturing engineering support for a new product launch. This includes but limited to print review, process flow, process development, process work instructions, process layout, fixture development, subcomponent part qualification, packaging development, and sample requisitions.
- Quote, select, release, monitor, and provide cost tracking for all new secondary tooling development programs (drilling/routing/assembly fixtures, etc.).
- Provide support to sales in part quoting process.
- Initiate, communicate, coordinate, and validate the implementation of all engineering changes (ECs) in conjunction with the product engineer and sales. Follow-up with cost estimating to confirm all cost projections have been met. Communicate status to the customer.
- Develop process work instructions in pictorial and standardized workflow format.
- Optimize the manufacturing cell by proposing improvements to process layout, process flow, lighting, fixturing, tools, material handling, molding and post-molding processes, data collection, and visual data presentation. Develop and implement the model cell and horizontally deploy.
- Review current operations in conjunction with the quality engineer to determine and minimize quality issues. This may include review of process instruction, operator training, equipment capability, packaging, etc.
- Cost review of manufacturing processes to ensure we are meeting our cost objectives. Propose process improvements for processes not meeting the cost objectives.
- Monitor and review current manufacturing fixtures and propose cost/quality justified changes for improvement.
- Provide technical assistance to molding, finishing, and assembly to troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing/quality/cost issues. Will include product flow, material handling, safety, and visual management.
- Organize and maintain customer part print files.
- Assist and/or provide corrective action for quality non-conformances.
- Support standard operating procedures for the engineering department with ISO documentation and requirements.
- Generate sample requisitions to validate ECs relating to process changes.
- Monitor and validate all cost data for part/process sampling process.
- Assist in collecting and organizing data, and obtaining and monitoring compliance for air/water/environmental/other regulatory requirements.
- Provide education, implementation, and training on new manufacturing technology developed for new product releases.
- Follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Live DeKalb Molded Plastic’s core values.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical fields.
- Minimum (5) years’ experience in a related position.
- Strong knowledge of engineering and quality principles, practices and problem-solving skills. PDCA root cause problem analysis experience is a plus.
- Good understanding of primary and secondary tooling and manufacturing equipment design and development practices
- Strong understanding of manufacturing principles and practices.
- Participate as a strong member of the new product launch team.
- Lean manufacturing and/or six sigma black belt/green belt experience a plus.
- Knowledge of ISO qualification procedures and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Training experience: leading and facilitating
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment
- Willingness to travel, as needed to visit suppliers and customers
- Strong ability to drive change.
- Strong customer focus.